I decided to make a (hopefully) relatable post about New Years Resolutions and where I am half way through 2017.
In December 2016 I remember being inspired to make some resolutions for 2017. Let’s recap and see how my thinking has changed. Because, honestly, my goals and what I want to be doing right now have changed so much in just 6 months.
- Start Etsy store- In 2016 I thought I wanted to start an Etsy store and sell my calligraphy. That was a huge goal that I wanted to carry out in 2017. Well, in 2017 I decided to start a blog (this one to be exact) and I have completely fallen in love with blogging. Also, I’m beginning to get interested in web design. I don’t know what I’m going to be doing in the future exactly. But, I do know that I want to keep blogging and eventually have my own website. Right now this goal is taking a huge back seat. Maybe someday I’ll come back to it.
- Finish High School – Well, I officially did this 2 weeks ago! This was a huge thing for me. I have so much time now to work on this blog. I love that. Having the time to really pursue my biggest passion – writing – is amazing.
- Exercise every other day – My exercise routine has gone through drastic changes this year. In 2017 I started getting serious about exercise. Mostly because of my anxiety was really bad last year, so I didn’t eat a lot and lost a lot of weight. I decided in 2017 that I wanted to work hard to get back to a healthy weight. And that goal has been achieved! On April 15, I reached a normal BMI for the first time in about 2 years. That was what I really wanted to do this year. My weight is something that I’ve struggled with for a long time. But, since I struggle in the opposite way of most people they don’t really notice. It has been very hard for me to carry out. It has taken many hours of exercising to build up muscle mass to gain the weight back. This goal says to exercise every other day. And, honestly, I exercise almost every day. The past month or so my exercise has been primarily either long walks (3-4 mile ones) or 4-5 mile bike rides. When I started the exercise thing I started out really working out and doing lots of squats and such. But I just didn’t find it fun. I didn’t really enjoy it. I have found that walking, riding bikes, and doing chin-ups are my favorite ways to exercise. For me, being happy is what really matters. My goals are not to become ‘ripped’ I just want to be happy and healthy. And I’ve been really happy and healthy recently. So, I would say that I have kept this one pretty well. (Sorry for the long explanation.)
- Do 25 push-ups – I’m at about maybe 1… Push-ups aren’t something I really enjoy so, I don’t think I’m going to be really working on this one this year.
- Ride bikes for 10 miles easily. So, far I’m at 5.26 miles for my longest ride. I’ve been working on this one but it’s going to take a lot of work to actually do it.
- Start building a website – Well, I have built this blog. But, this goal was for a website that I owned. Still yet to even really research this one. Hopefully, I’ll start by the end of the year. But if not, I’ve still done a lot of stuff this year that I’m proud of!
- Start an email list – I guess I have that through this blog.
- Have 1,000 followers on hobdistudios Instagram- Well, I recently changed the name of this to heathersart__ (2 underscores) because I’m not sure if I’m going to open an Etsy store and I’d rather have an Instagram for my art than one that I regret having because I never went through with my plans. Because life just happens and as you grow up your priorities change. I’m at 217 followers on there and counting. It’s definitely growing, just slowly.
- Have 200 emails on a list – Well, I have 15 email subscribers on my blog so far. Actually, I just checked the number of them and was totally shocked! Last time I checked I had like 5! I want to say a huge THANK YOU to each one of my email subscribers. It means a lot to me that you follow my blog.
- Design 3 product lines for my Etsy store- Well, I’m not sure if I’m going to do the Etsy store now, so I haven’t been working on this. This whole thing is still up in the air for me. Maybe someday I’ll do it. Maybe not. I’m just going to sit back and see where I’m at in 2018.
- Complete 4 chapters of my novel – Aww man, this one hits hard. I actually picked up my novel and was working on it again for the first time since like February or March, yesterday! It still has so much work to do on it. I would like to say a shout out of thanks to all of my proofreader’s. I appreciate all of your advice. I guess I need to kick butt on this in the next 6 months. A huge dream of mine is to publish this book someday.
- Earn Drivers License – This is a goal that is hard for me. I’ve been really lazy about learning how to drive because there are many other things that I prioritize over it. I don’t go a lot of places so I’d rather spend my time writing than driving… I know I’m weird. I do need to work on this though.
- Learn how to use the Bernina sewing machine – This is an embroidery machine that my family has and I’ve meant for years to learn how to use it. Still yet to actually start this one…
- Read 10,000 pages – I don’t know what my page count is at right now. But I’m sure it’s nowhere near this. I’ve done a lot of other things recently and not as much reading. But I have tried to read more this month. I have always been a reader and absolutely love it.
- Buy or receive 30 more books – I got like 15 books for my birthday and a used book sale. So, about half-way there. Not bad for half-way through the year.
- Read 5 business books – Still working on the first one, How to Win Friends and Influence People. (Have been since January. But let’s not mention that…)
- Teach my little sister how to cook – She’s getting better. But I forget a lot to include her because I can just do everything faster on my own.
- Learn 5 complicated songs on my flute – I’ve learned 2 or 3 so far. So about half-way through this one too.
- Learn how to use our camera – I started but have kind of forgotten about this. Still, need to learn this.
- Learn how to edit pictures better – I’ve used Snapseed for months. I’ve gotten pretty good at using all the features. But it’s pretty simple as far as editing apps go. I have downloaded PicMonkey onto my phone but am yet to actually use it. I guess this one is a not started yet too.
Well, that’s all of them. How about you? What is one New Years Resolution that you have actually kept going for 6 months? What is one that you are yet to even start? Don’t feel bad, hey, I haven’t really started 10 out of 20. I guess I need to work hard.
I’m glad I did this. It really made me go back and review these and see just how much my thinking has changed in only 6 months. Several of my goals aren’t really goals for me anymore. I don’t really worry about accomplishing them anymore.
How has your thinking about your goals/resolutions changed in 6 months?
Comment below your thoughts. I’d love to start a conversation.
Soli Deo Gloria,